As a child I had very little self-confidence. I was extremely self-conscious of the GIANT gap between my teeth. That led me to be shy and reserved. It took a lot of convincing to get my mom to take me to the orthodontist. The day my braces went on was the day my life changed. I would hold up a mirror at every appointment and watch as what I felt like magic was happening. Everyone could tell I was different once my braces were on.
The emotions I experienced during treatment inspired me to become an orthodontist. I wanted to be able to help others feel the same empowerment and confidence. Every day I am excited to come to work because I truly love what I do. We have set strict and high standards for care in our office: you can see that in our finished results. We’ve found a way of reaching those standards while being silly, having fun, and — most importantly — making people smile. — Dr. Shira Tor
Education and Continuing Education
- Bachelor of Science in business – Miami University in Oxford, OH, magna cum laude
- Doctorate of Dental Medicine – A.T. Still University, Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
- Master’s in public health – A.T. Still University, School of Health Management
- General practice residency – University of Virginia School of Medicine
- Postdoctoral science foundational coursework – University of Pennsylvania
- Certificate in orthodontics – Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthodontics
Dr. Tor knows that part of being an exceptional orthodontist is the pursuit of continuing education. This keeps her informed of the latest research, technology, and trends. By completing both local and national courses, she is continually expanding her knowledge and the care she is able to provide her patients.
Dr. Tor feels it’s important to apply only evidenced-based research to her practice and to fully understand all treatments she uses on a daily basis.
- American Board of Orthodontics
- American Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Ohio Dental Association
- Greater Cleveland Dental Society
- Alpha Omega
Dr. Tor grew up in Beachwood, on the east side of Cleveland. She now lives in Shaker with her husband Jeremy and their daughter, Ariella. Outside of work, Dr. Tor spends as much time as possible with her family and friends. She’s an avid foodie who loves trying new restaurants, looking up new recipes, and planning her next meals. Sharing that love of food with family and friends makes Dr. Tor very happy. Dr. Tor also volunteers at the local free clinic, helping others.